Anne Mwangi Mvurya was sworn in as the new UNSA President on Sunday. Anne, who was competing against 13 others garnered 24 votes against Samuel Ayoma, who came second with 8 votes.
Here are things you need to know about the 20-year-old President:
- She is the first female student’s leader in the 50 years of the University’s existence.
- She is a second year law student and an attachee at Milimani law courts
- She has a foundation called Anne Mwangi foundation aimed at empowering women for leadership
- She raised a total of 2 million for her campaigns
- She has tried to run for the same post previously but was disqualified because she was a first year student
- Has served as a headgirl in Primary school and secondary school
- She is the last born in a family of two
During an interview with Citizen TV, Anne said that she did not receive any support from politicians, and that her campaigns were solely funded by fellow students.
“I had harambees at home, at school and this is how I was able to raise the money to vie.”
One of the top issues in her priority list include improved students’ security.